My story is much like
that of Jesse's. I worked in our local hospital in 1984. There had
been a patient with scabies that infected much of the floor I worked on.
Although I did not show signs of the infection I was ordered to Kwell (lindane)
my entire family; my husband, my 2 year old daughter, and myself.
This was in
January. In March of the same year, she had developed a rash on her belly.
Our family doctor didn't know what it was so he sent us to a dermatologist who
said it was scabies. I told him about the outbreak 2 months earlier.
He believed it had laid dormant in her and that she had caught it from me.
He recommended that all of us use Kwell again.
On April 13 she was
hospitalized with "severe anemia and left hip joint pain". The next day
she was transferred to John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore where we lived for the
next 8 weeks. It took her a while but she eventually responded to the
chemotherapy. She had several set backs along the way. Fortunately,
Stacey went into remission and has been fine since then. She is now a
healthy college student.
My mother kept telling me back in 1984 that the Kwell
had caused her cancer but I didn't pay it much attention. After reading
about Jesse and the other children I'm starting to suspect my mother was right.
It's sad to think how many other children have been affected by problems like
- Chris C.