HeadLice.Org Hot Spots

Chemical Treatments for
Head Lice are Not Created Equal


Chemical treatments for head lice are not created equal. And while all of the commercially available products are pesticides, some are more toxic than others. The prescriptions for lice and scabies that contain the chemical lindane are among the most risky. One should also know that none of the products are 100% effective... even though the packaging may make you think otherwise. Descriptions of pesticides derived from the chrysanthemum flower are among the misleading. Manufactures never tell you about the synergists and solvents that are mixed with the supposedly naturally-derived pesticide ingredient. If it kills a bug like "they" say it should then it is a pesticide by definition.

Chemical treatments have their place for certain individuals for specific reasons. Yet there are others who should never be exposed to them. This is especially true if the person involved is pregnant, nursing, has allergies, asthma, epilepsy, open wounds, or pre-existing medical conditions. Children who have been treated repeatedly for head lice (or scabies) or exposed to lice sprays (or flea bombs) may be more at risk of adverse events with additional chemical exposures. Seizures, behavioral changes, attention deficit disorders, cancer, skin diseases, and even death have been reported to the National Pediculosis Association's registry by people who have used chemical treatments to get rid of head lice or scabies.

There's tons of misinformation out there. Don't let your family fall victim to it. If you choose to use a chemical treatment follow the directions that come with the treatment.

  • Don't use shower caps and never leave the product on longer than directed.

  • Don't use a prescription product containing the pesticide LINDANE.

  • Don't use a chemical treatment on or near the eyes.

  • Don't use a head lice treatment on a baby.

  • Don't use lice sprays.

  • Don't buy products that are packaged with Lice Sprays.

  • Don't treat individuals who are not infested.

  • Don't use treatments to prevent head lice.

Head Lice management is much more than the often-perceived issue of unwanted bugs and most available treatment remedy. Endemically positioned among children, head lice have begun a cycle of responses which in some cases become more worrisome than the critters themselves.

Following one treatment with another is ill advised... click here for details!



-- send this page to a friend --

The National Pediculosis Association,® Inc.
A Non-Profit Organization
Serving The Public Since 1983.

The National Pediculosis Association is a non-profit, tax exempt
organization that receives no government or agency funding.
Contributions are tax-deductible under the 501c(3) status.

© 1997-2009 The National Pediculosis Association®, Inc. All images © 1997-2009 The National Pediculosis Association®, Inc.