Combs, Not Lotions, May Be
Best for Head Lice
Removal of head lice with the use of a fine-tooth
comb is a safer method of controlling the problem than the use of
Head lice remains a health problem for
schoolchildren around the world. In most Western nations, parents attempt
to kill the lice and their eggs ('nits') through the use of insecticide
lotions or shampoos. The average infected child carries less than 8 to 10
lice on his or her scalp on any given day.
A simple wet combing of the hair -- performed by
parents once every 3 days with the use of a fine-tooth 'nit' comb -- may
be just as effective as insecticide use in removing head lice in children.
British Medical Journal May
COMMENT: I just love these inexpensive, simple,
non-toxic alternatives to toxic chemicals. If you know anyone who has
lice, I would encourage you to tell them of this alternative to the toxic
chemicals that are commonly used to kill the lice.
Kwell lotion is one of the older ones and it
contains a potent neurotoxin that should be avoided. Newer chemicals, like
Nix, are less toxic, but still capable of causing harm and lice are
becoming increasingly resistant to all these chemicals. But it is
impossible to become resistant to a mechanical solution like a